The Moon is thought to have formed about 4.51 billion years ago, not long after Earth.
The Moon is in synchronous rotation with Earth meaning the same side is
always facing the Earth. The first unmanned mission to the Moon was in 1959 by
the Soviet Lunar Program with the first manned landing being Apollo 11 in 1969.
Read some Surprising facts about Moon | Unknown facts about the moon
|Mass:||7.35 × 10^22 kg (0.01 Earths)|
|Orbit Distance:||384,400 km|
|Orbit Period:||27.3 days|
|Surface Temperature:||-233 to 123 °C|
- The full moon occurs when the moon is on the opposite side of Earth from the
sun so that its face is fully illuminated by the sun’s light.
- The Moon is moving approximately 3.8 cm away from our planet every year.
It is estimated that it will continue to do so for around 50 billion years.
- It would take hundreds of thousands of moons to equal the brightness of the sun.
- No man has reached on the moon from last 41 years.
- It would take less than 6 months to get to the Moon by a car at 60mph (95km/h).
- Most of the people think that the Moon is round in shape,
but it’s not.The Moon is shaped like an egg.
- The Moon is 81 times lighter than Earth.
- The Moon is the fifth largest natural satellite in the Solar System.
- When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon, they honoured soviet cosmonaut
Yuri Gagarin by leaving behind one of his medals.
- Of the six flags planted on the moon, five of them are still standing.
- If there are two full moons in the same month, the second one is called the blue moon.
- The American flags placed on the moon are now white due to radiation from the sun.
- There is high-speed Internet on the moon: 19 MBPS.
- When Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he carried with him a piece of the Wright brothers’ first aeroplane.
- Jupiter has 67 moons, Saturn has 62, Uranus 27, Neptune 14, Mars 2 and Earth just one.
- An Apollo astronaut lost his wedding ring during his trip to the moon and found it again during a spacewalk.
- If you weigh 150 lb (68 kg) on the Earth, you would weigh only
25 lb (11 kg) on the Moon.
- The Moon has weaker gravitational force than earth, it has only one-sixth of
Earth’s gravitational force, that is why astronauts can jump so high.
So, these are Surprising facts about Moon | Unknown facts about the moon